Inspiring us to build an inner temple of silence, our beloved Gurudeva said:
What joy awaits discovery in the silence behind the portals of your mind no human tongue can tell. But you must meditate and create that environment. Those who deeply meditate feel a wonderful inner quiet.
— Sri Sri Paramahansa Yogananda
Yogoda Satsanga Society of India’s How-to-Live Retreat programmes are open to YSS Lessons students seeking spiritual renewal and who desire to leave behind the pressures of everyday life – even if only for a few days — to deepen their awareness of the Divine. These programmes provide, in the words of Paramahansa Yogananda, “a dynamo of silence where [you] may go for the exclusive purpose of being recharged by the Infinite.”
Sincere sadhaks get a wonderful opportunity to withdraw their attention from the ceaseless activity of everyday living, and focus it on the Inner Silence, and thereby drink the nectar of God’s peace and bliss. They can come on retreat to rest, and to find inspiration and spiritual renewal. Or to seek answers to questions or solutions to problems that can be resolved only by deep reflection, understanding and inner guidance.
- Retreat activities include practice of the YSS Energization Exercises, group meditations, and spiritual discourses led by YSS monastics.
- Participants can avail of the Yogoda Satsanga Society of India books and recordings for private listening and study.
- Devotees may choose to take walk in the fresh air, and exercise in order to induce physical relaxation.
- There is also ample free time to relax and enjoy God’s presence in the beautiful retreat settings.
- In addition to the morning and evening group meditations, devotees may also wish to have periods of individual meditation.
- Should retreatants wish to do so, they may also arrange an appointment for consultation with a Yogoda Satsanga Society of India monastic, who will be happy to guide in understanding, and applying the teachings of Paramahansa Yogananda in their daily lives.
Basic Retreat Guidelines:
The responsibility for a rewarding retreat rests with you. Whether you have come to renew your spirit or whether you inwardly seek solutions to troublesome questions and problems, the success of your endeavour rests ultimately on your personal relationship with God — the divine Spirit that is the Source of life, wisdom, health, and happiness. In the measure you cultivate awareness of His indwelling Presence, you will receive inspiration and assurance, and guidance toward solving every problem in life.
Taking care of the following points will greatly help you to cultivate that awareness: